View Single Post
Old 25th April 2010, 08:39 PM

Default Chassis Painting

Hello

Well I'm getting close to having the majority of little bits and bobs welded to the chassis so I'm getting to the point where I either need to get the car on wheels, or strip the chassis and get it painted and ready for panelling. The problem with the first option is that a friend of mine offered to machine the end of the wishbone tubes back in November - they are still not done and trying to get the tubes back off him is proving troublesome The reason getting on with the painting popped to mind is because I'm due to be going on shift work (4 days, 2 off, 4 nights, 2 off etc) in June for 3 weeks. During this time I can't see me getting much work on the roadster done. So my idea is to paint the chassis before I go on shifts, which will give the paint a few weeks to harden.

I'm thinking of using Expoxy Mastic 121 - http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic.cfm - which I think AshG used on his car. What is the general consensus as to how to apply it. Spray, brush or roller? I've got a compressor and a big cheap spray gun but I'm thinking I should try and get a better smaller gun to get into those awkward areas - anyone got any reccomendations - I know nothing about spray painting! Also what sort of quantity of paint am I likely to need - will 5l be enough?

Cheers

Dave