View Single Post
Old 11th May 2010, 08:20 PM

Smile Bolt kit update

Here's a quick update for all

First a final list of the fastenings that will be included with each kit.

M12 X 260mm Blots X 2 ( Rear Uprights )

M12 X 200mm bolts X 2 ( Dif Mounting Bolts )

M12 X 75mm bolts X 20 ( Wishbone's, rear Camber adjuster & lower shock bolt )

M12 X 60mm bolts X 6 ( Upper rear & front shock bolts )

M12 Nyloc nuts X 30 ( One for each bolt )

M12 Plain flat washers ( 2.5mm thick ) X 60 ( Two for each bolt )

M12 Black Plastic nut covers X 60 ( Two for each Bolt )

All bolts are 8.8 Grade, High Tensile & are Bright Zinc Plated .... Nuts & washers are Bright Zinc Plated

-------------------------------

A couple of points to note:

I have increased the length of the main wishbone bolts from 70mm to 75mm

When I bolted up a suspension bracket that was pre-fitted with a crush tube It was touch & go with the 70mm bolt, with a washer fitted either end of the bolt, only two threads were showing. ( Might be a little close for comfort for some folk )

I think it was best to opt for a 75mm bolt length & use a Type P Nyloc nut, at 14mm thick I feel it is better suited for bolting up the suspension as opposed to the standard Type T Nyloc nut ( 12mm thick )
Giving it a little more thought, the thicker Type P Nyloc nut is the normal standard commonly found on the suspension components of production cars.

At 260mm long, the Two rear upright bolts will be over long & will require the thread trimming back a little, not such a bad thing as this will leave more of the bolts shank inside the upright.
After looking at a 240mm bolt, when using the thicker Nyloc nut, it come up slightly short
Long bolts are normally available in increments of 10mm, unfortunately the nearest, next size up available from stock is 260mm.

I have spoke to my local stockist & he is confident that he can match the best price I had obtained online .... If this is the case, the rear upright bolts will be 250mm long ( Less to trim, if at all needed )

Kit Price

Each kit will be £25 inclusive of postage

I tried very hard to get it much lower than this but alas, the postage cost, at £6 per kit, has greatly added to the final cost

For those not wishing to recieve the nut covers, the kit price will be £22.50 inclusive of postage.

Some interest was shown in having a set of plain nuts included to assist in the test fitting of the suspension.

If required by anyone, the additional cost will be £2.50 in order to cover the cost of 30 X M12 Plain nuts ( Bright Zinc Plated )

Please let me know in good time if you require the addition of a set of plain nuts.

Finally

I will be ordering enough fixings to make up 15 complete sets

This means there are still Two kits available

Hopefully, all of you folks will think the price is very reasonable & a good deal cheaper than sourcing the fixings in low quantitys for a singel build

As ever, any comments or questions will be welcomed.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk