View Single Post
Old 7th September 2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifix View Post
Thanks for the replys guys, Wouldn't the brackets from john still need modifying tho?
If memory serves me right, 3Ge's brackets have had a slight mod done, I am sure John will be allong to correct me if this is not the case

The suspension bracket dimensions confused me a little when I went to make them.
I'll try my best to explain !!

Don't have the book to hand & been a very long time sinse they were done
The bracket has a radius as described & one would assume that the hole centre would be the same as the centre point of the radius, however this is not the case ..... The centre point for the bracket hole is further up the bracket ( In my case, this is why I could not tally up the flat lenght of the bracket )

Some felt at the time that with the book bracket, there was not enough material left around the hole in the event of a suspension bolt becoming loose & opted for a revised bracket design.

It must be said at this time .... There is nothing wrong with the book design bracket provided the suspension bolts are kept properly tightened as they should be.

There was just a minor concern that if the bolt should ever become loose, it would not take long for such a narrow shoulder to wear away if the problem went un-noticed ( However unlikely that may be )

I spent the best part of two days messing with the brackets .... Folding by hand & not being able to obtain, consistent accurate results !!

It finally dawned on me .... What on earth was I doing wasting so much valuable build time making this multitude of brackets by hand .... Promptly ordered a set fro 3GE & put my build time to better use

The critical dimensions are inside width & hole centre position, if you have the eqiupment to make them, go for it

You will notice that with the slightly revised design, when using Gaz shocks .... You may need to fettle the corners of the front lower wishbone brackets ( Innermost edge ) as the stem of the shock tends to snag a fraction.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk