View Single Post
Old 19th August 2011, 11:27 AM

Hello everybody,
I read more on more things about the MX5 as the new donor, especially with Saturn and Vodoo/TalonMotorsport launching the chassis. I've always liked this car, when I was 23 yo and Mazda issued the MX5, it was my dreamed car !
So I don't know if the situation in UK when it comes to finding a Sierra is that bad, but to me, there is a big concern about this MX5 as a donor : it is the price. Here in Sweden, you can find a very descend 2nd hand Sierra to strip off for 300 to 500 euros. Even less if, unlike me, you're OK to have a carburettor engine. And there are a lot of them for sale.
Regarding MX5 now, first there are just a few of them available, and I couldn't find an add for an second hand MX5 for sale, even broken, for less than 3000 euros ! Not the same...
So I think to stay in the "low cost" spirit, Sierra as a donor will still last for a while here (but I'm curious to know if Swedes use RWD Volvo as donor, I have to check that).
As some of you already know, I'm French, (and if you didn't know, you certainly figured it out now, reading my bad English !), but I live in Sweden. I checked adds in France and it is about the same. An MX5 as a donor is still quite expensive. The cheapest I found is a broken MX5 (for parts) at 1500 euros.
I'd have loved building my Haynes Roadster with an MX5 as a donor, but it will be a Sierra, as for the price of an MX5, I can almost finish the car based on a Sierra !
Don't know if you guys feel concern about that, but I thought it would be interesting to compare and share this experiences.
Bye.