View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:11 PM

Hi all ....well the refurb of the drum backplate continues....I got real tired of wire brush, grindstones, well you know the score ....so I decided it was time to revive my DIY blast cabinet.....I gave up on this a while ago because you need a REAL BIIIIIIIG compressor for these hungry media blasters so it was time to get my hands on a petrol powered hydrovane compressor the dogs..... all bells and whistles water trap, air cooler 150psi, so after some setting up I gave it a shot but I only had silver sand to try out .....yeah I know, its a big no no silicosis and so on ...anyways way too dusty so a quick mooch on www I discover a few peeps starting recommend crushed glass....cheap and no dust (my ars) so ordered some of the bay to give it a try. couple of days later and after 15-20 mins blasting I have a finished backplate....great and no dust.
Next day I refill the blast bucket and get to work on the other backplate and the first signs of dust appear....bo**ocks I thought...well plod on , now on doing my differential and I can hardly see the thing in the blast cabinet and before any one asks yes I do have a vacuum and vent running ...so I won't be buying any more of that crap. I have now ordered some steel shot that IS re usable up to 3000 times and hahaha no dust (believe when see)
anyway the stuff I have done so far is coming up clean and ready to prime
so here are some piccies the diff aint finished yet but soon will.

this one is the encrusted one on the right after a blast and paint.