Thread: NTS MX5 Build
View Single Post
Old 24th March 2012, 08:04 PM

Sorry for the delay, iv been trying to catch up this week. Its been a bit bitter sweet the last couple of weeks regarding the mx5 build. A couple of weekends ago id sorted out the wiring loom and got all the fluids bled so i decided it was time for a proper run down round the industrial estate to find any proplems before i started putting the bodywork on. So, as one does I spent a good hour and a half checking bolts, tiying back any loose wiring/tubing etc. I popped the battery in the passenger footwell, turned the key and started driving slowly around the industrial estate in first and second. I went back to the unit and gave it a once over, everything looked dandy so i decided to give it the beans down the road. Going from first to second at speed there was an almighty bang, and i was hit by something hard from behind. The prop was laid on the floor and the diff was snapped in two. Like a complete knob i had forgotten to put the spreader plates under the diff bushes so the diff was hanging by just its rubbers. The torque was too much for it and it gave way, snapping the rear casing in half and wrecking the UJ in the prop in the process. I pushed it back for what what seemed to be a lifetime, with an almighty bruise on my arse from the diff twating me!

The good news was that there was no damage at all to the chasiss, so theres no problems there. David bowlam was very kind to let me have a replacement, but as it was a 1.6 diff it has different pcd shaft flanges and it was open, i really wanted to keep the torson lsd so a quick call to mx5 city got me a free new casing (providing i show their stickers on the car in the mag features!)

The diff is now back in the car with its new casing. I have also fitted a pair of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX-5...item3f125b3c0a

and made some 8mm spreader plates to go underneath.

So, whatever you do, dont hang the diff without the original plate with the castlated bush or polybushes and a substansial spreader or this will happen!

I cant thank mx5 city enough, there a real good bunch of blokes who really know their mx5s, and they'll sell you anything from a nut to a full donor!