View Single Post
Old 1st May 2012, 11:08 PM

Small update..

Haven't been able to make much progress over the last week. This is because I have been extremely busy with work, also had to do a gearbox change on my friends car. Hoping that over the next week I can start to finish off the plates and look at getting the steel ordered!

Spent a couple of hours yesterday and managed to complete CP18 x4 (seat mounts) and get the nuts welded into place too. Weld's are not completely clean as the nuts I welded on had some kind of Zinc coating on them to stop them rusting. I ground these off before i welded and also buzzed over the plate before welding so i have 2 clean faces, but i think there must be a small reaction with the metal in the nuts to the metal of the plate. Either way it aint too messy and wont be falling off.

Pic...

Also after making a thread called "Chassis Nut and Bolt List" i managed to find out the different sizes and lengths of the nuts, bolts and washers for the suspension and the diff.

My father was able to bring these home from work with him tonight, i only gave the list to him last night!

There is more than enough plus plenty of spares.. Also got him to bring me home some more grinder disks.

In the pic above is...

- 10 grinder disks
- 32 M12 8.8 bolts
- 54 nylock M12 nuts
- 78 M12 Crimp nuts
- 211 M12 washers
- 20 M10 normal nuts
- 20 M10 Crimp nuts!

Just need to order the 2 x diff bolts, 2 x upright bolts, and the head/nut caps now and I should have all the bolts I need.

I noticed after reading IVA that you need to use nylock nuts to stop them vibrating loose. Well these are great but can only be used once or they end up loose, also the nylon can melt in temp conditions and also come loose. Was hoping to use these crimp nuts. The last few threads in the nut has a slightly smaller pitch making it like a crimp, so cannot come undone form vibration and can be used as many times as possible. Would this pass IVA?

They are Zinc coated so are rust resistant the same as stainless ones.

Cheers.