Thread: Engine In Mule
View Single Post
Old 5th July 2012, 07:53 PM

Right I can now devote some time to this reply . If Robbo wants to use a V8 then I say go ahead, knock yourself out and do it. Weight issues? What weight issues? As Robbo has already said the difference between his small block V8 and a pinto is minimal and if the V8 is well back in the engine bay the overall effect on handling will be minimal. Too much power? F1 cars rev to 18,000RPM and put out C750BHP in a chassis that breaks the scales at around 650KGs, they manage quite well albeit with very good drivers. So why does a couple of hundred BHP in a 600KG(ish) give cause for concern? As Robbo said the throttle pedal he is using is a VARIABLE control not an on/off switch.

My build was recently referred to as a "barge" (conveniently edited later to be less offensive although no apology was ever forthcoming) by someone who lasted nearly six months as a supplier of chassis and body components. My build will weigh around 750KGs when finished (how many of you have any idea what yours will weigh, honestly?) but will have around 225BHP and 200+ ft/lbs of torque from low down (around 2000RPM) with a pretty flat torque curve. This means it will be lighter than almost all standard production cars and pull like a train! If I get the suspension geometry right it might even go round a corner or two .

D.