Thread: Engine In Mule
View Single Post
Old 5th July 2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post

I read lots of threads & posts on the subject of track performance.
This is fantastic if that is what floats your boat & are building a track orientated car.
So in that respect, I can see where you are coming from.
Actually, Im not a racing nut and never interest in it other than as a spectator. My car is purely a daily road car - in SA we have the weather to really enjoy it mostly all year round and in my town, we do not have traffic lights/robots but about 39 double lane roundabouts/traffic circles which will be fun
We have three racing classes for sevens and even in the unlimited my car would not be allowed should I choose to race it because it is turbo charged....

The thing with lots of power is getting on the road with the 15x195x50 tires used (common size in SA) and a Seven does not have super wide slicks such as F1 cars.
I had a ride recently in a Seven with a 1.6lt 4AGE turbocharged engine and is really a beast when that turbo push kicks in with a bang. Actually have to adapt driving style to keep it off the boil in a circle otherwise the back just steps out touching the loud pedal when the boost steps in. But in a straight line its better than sex and the acceleration beyond believe - and will easily produce wheel spin in 3rd gear when putting the hammer down. A late model M3 tried us on a sprint start and was demoralized after being trashed big time to 160kph when we discovered we racing ourselves....

Is the pinto engine the 4 cyl ohc (1.6 & 2.0lt) Sierra engine since Im not on par with that motor and cannot recall a Ford in SA ever using that but stand to be corrected unless it is the 4 cyl Sierra lump. We did had a Sierra with a 2.3lt V6 engine as well discounting the V8 Perana's produced locally with the 5.0lt 302 motor.
I know the Rover 3.5 V8 is a light weight engine due to its ally everything but honestly did not expect the 302 being that light as claimed.

I did not meant to be rude in anyway with my previous post, its just I like a Seven as its meant to be; a light small engined car with handling second to none.
My car weigh 30kg over estimated build target weight Total the scale at 615kgs.

Edit: Perhaps at 56 Im getting to old for this stuff. Maybe driving a diesel car for years now clouded my senses.

Wynand
http://5psi.net

Last edited by Wynand : 5th July 2012 at 09:19 PM.