View Single Post
Old 28th December 2012, 06:25 PM

Hi,
Thank you for the replies,
Arf, yes, I thought about that in the first place, but my chassis if finished now, and I don't feel like taking the grinder and cutting the trans tunnel to install a new one (and I would need 5m of 20x20 tube that I don't have). Also, as I'm building a LH driver car, I'm not even sure I can reverse the dimensions of the passager/driver foot wells given in the MT75 amendment document, and still being able to fir the gearbox. If this is possible, it would also mean modifying if not rebuilding completely another pedal box. My big mistake has been to build the chassis without being sure of which engine/gearbox I will use, and now it's payback time. My old man used to say "everything is about planing", and I have to confess he was bloody right.
So, today I wanted to check if I can fit the flywheel of the SOHC on the DOHC. I removed the gearboxes and clutches from both engines. But when I looked at the flywheels, it appears that the 6 bolt PDC is not the same on the SOHC (about 65mm) and the DOHC (about 70mm). Not only that removing the flywheels look to be a big pain because of the tightening torque of these 6 bolts, but obviously, I will not be able to fit the flywheel of the SOHC on the DOHC.
The good news is that both clutches are the same, and as I bought a brand new one for the SOHC+type9, I know it will fit the DOHC's flywheel too.
My options now are as Bob said:
- having the DOHC's flywheel machined and balance by a local machine shop,
- use a longer clutch bell housing (from 1,8D which (I've read that too Bob) can fit the thick flywheel of the DOHC).
I'll have a look for this longer bell housing, and if I can get one for a good price, I'll go on this route, as this way, I will not need to remove the flywheel from the DOHC.
Keep you posted.
Thanks again for the help.