View Single Post
Old 14th March 2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
After much trolling the internet and ebay last week for a tight radius rolled tip stainless exhaust end and not finding anything remotely suitable, I do what I usually do and make my own....now in doing that it means I can be different as usual. So here is a quick run down of how I made it.
First raid the scrap bin for a piece of 2" stainless exhaust pipe, then give the bit I'm using a polish up and scrape the carbon out from inside, then I give the piece a 45 degree cut then mark out the next angled cut to intersect the first one, now grabbed the first offcut and gave it a bash or two to flatten the steel, now using the 45 degree angle as a template mark out on the flat piece of steel. Now attack with angry grinder until correct shape, when that has I nice fit its back onto the tig table and weld it onto the exhaust tip grind back then polish up with a powerfile ......now to achieve the "rolled tip" I silver soldered a length of shaped brake pipe onto the exhaust exit, the following pictures will make sense of what I have just described.

Kev,

The exhaust pipe I bought hasn't got a rolled end so I am going to try using the same method as you. Ie soldering on some brake pipe. (this bit might not even fall off after its test as I know I will rip my trousers on it!!.

My question is do you need a special solder to weld the copper to stainless or can I use standard solder?

Thanks

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.

Last edited by Davidbolam : 14th March 2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling