View Single Post
Old 11th June 2013, 02:17 PM

Well I've just ordered the 4 bends I need for my exhaust system at £5.34 each, they are press bent so are are not cosmetically sound, however they will be wrapped with black exhaust wrap so they will be hidden anyway. I've also order 2*500mm of 2" 1.5 ERW to allow me to join it all together, they are supposed to be getting sent out later on today so it means next week I may be able to tack it all together when I get back from holiday.

I did a bit of head scratching this morning to decide how I could make/buy two spigots for my Sierra master cylinder for my remote reservoir, and the easiest option I came up with was to use the dust caps that came with the master cylinder and epoxy some metal 8mm hose joiners to them and drill and hole through the cap, the caps fit snugly in the M/C I am just hoping that they will be compatible with brake fluid, I have put one in a small cup of brake fluid to see how it will react. I now just need to buy some more P-clips to allow me to tidy up the braided hose for the reservoir and the brake system will be nearly complete.

I've also remade my transmission tunnel top piece (the bit that goes under the scuttle) as I wasn't happy with it at all as it was very rough and the sides were not straight/the same length, so I scrapped it and remade one which I'd say is nearing perfection in my eyes lol. Bending aluminium with a rubber mallet definitely seems to be the way forward as it leaves no marks and gives a nice bend. I've also drilled the 5 holes for my relay holders into this panel, I have 5 relay holders, but a few of them will not be used as they are for wipers and screen wash etc, but will be good future proofing.

Finally I am currently sikaflexing my transmission tunnel side panels on, I considered riveting them on but decided it would take too long and this way if I want to take my panels off it will be possible without leaving lots of rivets inside the chassis members/having to attempt to match up holes.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting