View Single Post
Old 16th June 2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-L-Smith View Post
If you choose to run with your pinion offset and the stock axles, you'll be OK if you keep the total angle of the propshaft to 5 degrees or less. That's not just hearsay. It's based on some engineering equations used for years. Total angle would be calculated by how much the shaft is up or down looking at it fore and aft (side view) and how much right or left (top view). The math is pretty simple and I can give some references to it and the equations. I had to do the research because I'm using a Ford Mustang 7.5" live axle and it's offset as well.

Now, that does not tell you if you should change your tunnel to accommodate reasonable clearance around the offset shaft. You'll have to determine that based on the running gear you use and its position in the chassis. I laid it out on by build table surface for my components and you could easily do the same, I'm sure.

Cheers,
Thanks again. First I will correct myself, the guy that I had read about was in California, but his "Forum Name" is {dm2play} and he used, what he called, a Cobra rear end, which looks the same as my T-Bird other than the cover and rear mounts. Today I am re-checking all my dimensions, so I think I might be able to get by with getting one axle shortened, also I will call "7th Heaven" and get the diameter and groove count of the "short" Sierra axle. Thanks again for the "math", and your advice. I guess it would be esier if I had a "doner" but , where would the challenge be then? Don