View Single Post
Old 13th August 2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM Locost View Post
Thanks for that Mike; saved me the effort To save pople flicking through, Keith Tanner's nose mount design is very similar to Phil's design.

On another note, I think people are being too sensitive here. I didn't see Phil criticise any one person. Bear in mind, I've got a SSC based MX5 chassis (well, I have 2) and I've actively contributed to discussions with other builders both on this forum and IRL on different aspects of improving the design. I don't feel offended.

Phil does have a point though about welding quality. If your welding isn't up to scratch (which is a very real possibility with a home build, not saying anyone in particular is not up to it), then should you really be building a car capable of going over 100mph?

I think he's also spot on with the diff mounting designs. It is incredibly frustrating to have the same topics come up again and again with carbon copy proposals and outcomes (not that I'm blaming you Short in the slightest, you are contributing with an alternative design). Plus, like I said, the Americans have already examined this in detail. It seems counterproductive to not use their findings as our basis and tweak the designs to suit the Roadster.

Phil has also highlighted the one thing about the SSC design I believe could be bettered; the threaded adjusters. At one level, I would look at using a different thread pitch on the wishbones so that a standard rose joint can be used.

An alternative could be to use the adjustable wishbones to set up the car, then make a second set of fixed (or semi fixed) wishbones to those settings. This is what Formula Student builders are advised to do rather than have rod ends acting as outboard ball joints, which usually fail. Although, I would point out I saw a Northern saloon car championship RS200 (replica I assume) at Stoneleigh this year with a very similar threaded adjuster design to that laid out by SSC and the book.

Another option might be to see if an adjustable system similar to OEM Mazda, or shims, could be implemented with fixed wishbones.

WRT the rear upper wishbones, I think it will be difficult to find a way around this without redesigning the outboard end of the wishbone a la Johno's latest design. I do think that it should be possible to have an acceptable set up for the rear suspension using the SSC design.

Last edited by PorkChop : 13th August 2013 at 07:14 PM.