View Single Post
Old 13th August 2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
On another note, I think people are being too sensitive here. I didn't see Phil criticise any one person. Bear in mind, I've got a SSC based MX5 chassis (well, I have 2) and I've actively contributed to discussions with other builders both on this forum and IRL on different aspects of improving the design. I don't feel offended.
If Phil post was constructive about the possible failures of the Saturn chassis then that would be fine or peoples welding but it doesn't come across like that at all to me. Apparently he can't sleep at night thinking about it's short comings! A bit dramatic. No?

Quote:
Phil does have a point though about welding quality. If your welding isn't up to scratch (which is a very real possibility with a home build, not saying anyone in particular is not up to it), then should you really be building a car capable of going over 100mph?
We all know this and it's a good point so do destructive tests on your welds and make sure they're not going to let you down. That's what I did. There's no need to describe possible builders as "a less then proficient person" which is very polite insult to my mind considering the tone of his post.

Quote:
An alternative could be to use the adjustable wishbones to set up the car, then make a second set of fixed (or semi fixed) wishbones to those settings. This is what Formula Student builders are advised to do rather than have rod ends acting as outboard ball joints, which usually fail.
Thank you, this is useful information and something I hadn't thought of.

Quote:
WRT the rear upper wishbones, I think it will be difficult to find a way around this without redesigning the outboard end of the wishbone a la Johno's latest design. I do think that it should be possible to have an acceptable set up for the rear suspension using the SSC design.
I don't see this as much of an issue and like you think it's a workable design.

With regard to the diff support design, I see this as one of the fun/interesting bit's of the build, something we can all throw ideas around with. I enjoy the discussion. I'd like to avoid solid mounting if I can but if that's what it takes then so be it.

With regards to how solid a rubber mounting needs to be, I can jack the rear of my car up using the nose of the diff (obviously only a part built car at the time)
and it does not move at all in relation to the car chassis but that might change during a hard 1st gear launch, maybe 2nd gear launches could avoid this issue completely which might not be as daft as it sounds considering the weight of the vehicle.

Last edited by CTWV50 : 13th August 2013 at 07:20 PM.