View Single Post
Old 18th December 2010, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Yes the V6 Is all cast iron, and the I4 has an alloy head. But the block head construction is not the main factor in reliability of a turbo engine.

Good clamping of the head is a must, we have seen some of the 300BHP+ 2.9 4x4's lifting the heads of the block leading to gasket failure. But this can be resolved one owner is running about 540BHP on a 2.9 12v (Built by a very good engine builder who also builds LS Serise GM V8's). He also built another XROC member a I4 with uprated bottom end that was being used in a sprint car at 240+ BHP.

Both Turbo Technics setups are quite rudimentary, but they used small faster spinning turbos to build boost quickly and reduce lag. TT have done a lot of development work over the last few decades though. I was parked next to MR TurboTechnics's (Geoff Kershaw) Scorpio 24V Twin Turbo a couple of years ago at a show. We all had a good chat.

The old route for Zetecs was to build a ZVH (Zetec + CVH) which was a big thing for RS Turbo owners alowing them to go from a 1.6 to 2.0 Bottom end. It's still a popular conversion and well documented.

There is plenty of information, parts and potential for turboing a Zetec.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders