Thread: Steel Q's
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alga View Post
Andy, could you share the details of what tools and techniques you use to cut the tubes, especially the compound mitres? I've cut my steel with a 115 mm angry grinder mounted in a chopsaw-like holder, but I'm curious how the pros do it.
i,m not sure if the way i cut a chassis kit can qualify me as a Pro but here is how i do it......

I now have a "Master Template Kit" that is cut 2mm over long on each tube which allows for the scribing & the kerf cut of each tube i cut, each part is then checked to ensure the dimensions are correct.
The tools I use are mainly a bandsaw, a 4 inch angle grinder disc that is 1mm thick ( plasma disc ) that i use to cut the compound mitre cuts & a cold cut chop saw that I use to cut the basic maximum length of each tube before cutting any angles to them.

When i have all the tubes cut to length, I then work thru the full kit cutting the same angles on the various tubes...eg do all the 45 degree cuts at same time, next all the 17degree cuts & so on etc on the band saw ( saves changing the required angle of cut on the bandsaw),
once all standard cuts are finished I then scribe out all the compound mitre angles on the relevant tubes, I,ve found that if I scribe just 3 lines for the compound mitre cut it is then easy to cut in a vice with the plasma disc, each face is cut then the tube turned in the vice rather than just making 1 cut as this is often the cause of a bad mitre cut, then each completed mitre cut is placed into a Master "female" jig to check its correct.
Each tube is then marked with the angle of cut at each end , on both faces of a compound mitre cut & of course the main part code... TR1 etc.

Now i know i have a reputaion for being tight but from a 7 mtr length of steel I end up with on average 2 to 3 cm of waste .

I hope the above covers the info you wanted ?

Headshot........
Congratulations on your new addition to your family, all the best to mum & the young un

cheers
andy