View Single Post
Old 26th May 2012, 07:26 PM

Default Cooked my brakes!!!

Hi guys,

went on the CKC mag track day at Llandow today, and after a fair few mods to the car from it's original setup I'm happy to report it's handling much quicker on track, and much improved under braking. Everything was going well till I smelled a nasty rotten burning smell... a lap later my brakes were all but gone.

Back in the pits I soon discovered that my solid front discs were now a lovely blue colour, and my pads had worn by about 4mm in about half an hour on track.

Ok so the cause is obvious, far too much heat. Answers/solutions on a postcard please...

I'm happy with the stopping power of the standard sierra 240mm brakes, the solid discs just aren't up to the repeated abuse of a track day, however I don't want to spend big bucks on a huge and unecessary upgrade. (brembo AP etc)

What ford standard fit vented brakes are available? What would be required to do a conversion?

Has anybody successfully made GRP/carbon brake cooling ducts a-la formula 1 cars?

Thanks guys,

Sam.

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46