View Single Post
Old 1st April 2013, 05:17 PM

Default MT75 fits LHD book chassis!

Hi,
So today I actually could move the chassis to the garage! Yeah, it is a big step! And it is also and mostly thanks to my lovely girlfriend who really helped me to do so, I couldn't have done it all by myself.

So I could try to fit the engine + gearbox in the chassis this afternoon.

I built a "book" chassis, which means that the transmission tunnel is designed for a Type 9 gearbox. I have one, but some adaptations needs to be done to use it with the DOHC I will use in the Roadster.

So, I wanted to try to fit the MT75 from the donor in the chassis, what looked possible to me, as it is a LHD chassis, so the narrow passenger footwell on the right side leaves enough space for the starter hump on the bell housing. It was not sure, but worth to try.

And guess what? It actually fits! So it needs to be confirmed when everything is bolted and fitted, but I think it is a première : the MT75 gearbox actually fits in a LHD book (type 9) chassis. That could be interesting for those who, like me, drive "on the right side of the road" if they want or need to use a MT75 gearbox, they will not need to modify the original design as explained in the amendment section of this forum.

IMG_4957.JPG

There is just a little piece of alloy sticking out from the bell housing which touched CP17 on the driver (left) side and stop me to perfectly line-up the engine and gearbox with the chassis.

I want to check with you if I can grind this bit off. If I can, everything should fit perfectly. It looks to me like it is just a bit from the cast when the bell housing has been fabricated, and does not have any utility. So grinding it off should not be a problem, but I need to be sure.

Here is a picture the bit I want to grind-off on the left (driver) side, touching CP17.
IMG_4962.JPG

Here is picture of the same bit, but on the right side, so you can see better what it is.
IMG_4966.JPG

What do you guys think ? Can I grind it off without any bad consequences?

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by voucht : 1st April 2013 at 05:24 PM.