View Single Post
Old 27th February 2017, 10:30 AM

ok so here are a few of the winter upgrades
a new dash ; not quite that easy, is it ever ... lol the mx5 mk2.5 ecu has to run through the instrument micro computer to run the engine, so on the basis that someone put it together I can take one apart..... so with a spare cluster I started and with some lateral thinking I rebuilt the mx5 electronics into some revamped mgb gauges. I kept the original cluster circuit board mounting it on the rear of the dash board then made some fly leads up to connect to the gauges being satisfied with that lot I then made a ply dash and veneered it with some burr walnut winished with weatherproof / uv resistant sealer
so what to do about the warning lights ....... good old dad said that back in the day triumph stags had a chrome ringed octagonal segmented warning light cluster, so after some research I got one changed the choke warning o fog and off we go. Next switches only one choice here really so toggles it was with some nice brass legends I then taking a lead from dad found a nice old clock from a a ford zephyr so got that it works on a coil discharge unit so it goes "click" then about 5 minutes later does it again mmmm it works fine and keeps good time (had it connected up to a m/c battery for a few days )
so waiting for an ammeter gauge to arrive
BUT
I couldn't resist a wee trial fit with my classic wood rim steering wheel

and the wire wheel conversion