View Single Post
Old 20th August 2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balidey View Post
Cheap is a relative term when I plan to scratch build almost everything.
£40 each upright, plus £40 each hub, plus about £15 postage.£175.
Cortina hubs are about £80 to £100 a pair.
Sierra ones about half that, but requiring mushrooms.
Don't forget the bearing kit at £13 a side
Or they can come as part of a donor Sierra (I'm actually buying the bits as I go). I got my Sierra hubs for £40 delivered. The mushrooms I am in the process of making.

Quote:
Fabricated uprights will cost time only as I have use of materials, laser, mill, lathe, welding, blasting. And I can tailor them to give me the geometry I need.
Fair enough, but that means it should also be easy to make Mushrooms.

Won't you have to buy bearings for them as well?? They are getting pricey for Sierra ones. Although if making from scratch you could design in any easily/cheaply available bearing.

Quote:
What I hadn't seen is any evidence of fabricated items, but those links above for the autograss ones confirm that they are made, and I have seen the abuse that some og those cars get so I am more than happy to attempt to make my own. I think.
Here are some more;
Ally - http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1375_1594_1595&products_id= 11815
Steel - http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1375_1594_1595&products_id= 13605

Quote:
And the 'hassle' factor shouldn't come into it, it should be the 'fun' and 'rewarding' factors. Isn't this why we build cars? not to have hassle, but to enjoy the process of it, and to save some cash too.
Maybe hassle is the wrong word, but there are definitely certain things that I would buy in if I were to do it again, unless I had better tools. Case in point is the inserts. My tiny lathe is making them, but for £50 a pair would the several hours it has taken so far been better spent doing something else??
If you have access to bigger/more industrial tools then fair play, go for it, lucky git

Quote:
And the smaller items I can make (uprights, wishbones etc) I can tackle sooner, where are the chassis is going to be harder to hide from my wife
I'm doing the same. I have cut a lot of the chassis plates, made wishbones etc. and am actually leaving the chassis till a bit later in the year. It too hot in my garage to be welding in summer!! Tacked a few brackets last week and was dripping!

I would be very interested to see a finished set

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
Out of interest Ford now only have one side available new for the Sierra upright at £154 so they will become a rare item in time,
Christ, they are £90 a pair at Rallydesign

Sean

Last edited by londonsean69 : 20th August 2009 at 09:44 PM.