View Single Post
Old 28th October 2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbodger View Post
Very useful posts! When I first though about building a Roadster I took an evening course in welding and found that I was most comfortable with Tig - maybe because I've done quite a bit of soldering/brazing in the past. I've also done some commercial courses and am booked in for testing end November. Then I discovered that most people use MIG welding and this seems to be what most of the posts cover.
Couple of questions - does anyone have any experience of tig welding a chassis? Any tips would be most welcome! Secondly is it necessary to produce any test pieces or results for the IVA? I've had a reply to a different post saying that it's likely the IVA inspector will look very closely at any visible welds (to be expected), I was wondering if people generally have some form of welding test results to hand.

Thanks
i have a tig and a mig 90% of my chassis and bits are mig'ed
tig's are a two handed job, real sensitive to dirt,oil and drafts, more prep is needed and gas and filler wires would be more expensive also take an age to do. if your not skilled in tigging there is a chance you might not get full penitration of the joint.
too meny cons and not enough pros tbh
on the plus it would be ideal to tack up chassis as heat is kept to a minimum befor migging it fully