View Single Post
Old 18th September 2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 82 View Post
I suggested burton as they know the diff ratios and could advise the best possible option. Burton have extensive experience in Motorsport, including rallying, so there would be nobody better to talk to than Burton Power.
I'd hazard a guess that Andy Bates would be a better person to talk to about BEC fitment for both road and track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
The 3.38 and 3.14 are rare may be worth considering a Freelander diff at 3.2
Whilst Burtons do know Ford they don't know as much about BEC and they are expensive
Locostbuilders all the way
You can swap crown wheel and pinion as a matched pair to another Sierra LSD diff
I have never seen any Sierra LSD apart from 3.62, 3.64 or 3.92
Quaife ATB LSD can be fitted
True, you could buy 2 Ford diffs and make a long LSD, but would you see change from £500 for a diff made up of 20-25 year old parts?

In that respect, a Freelander diff would be the viable option. BMW might be worth a look at; they made plenty of LSDs in several models that are long enough for a BEC. There might be fitment issues though according to another user on this forum who has tried it. It's worth looking at though IMO, but you might need custom driveshafts or modifying the rear suspension to take BMW rear hubs.

I once went out for a ride in a ZX9R engined car. I loved it, it made me want a BEC and I very, very nearly bought a donor bike a few days after. I put myself off when I looked at the additional cost and work that going for a BEC entailed, especially as I wanted an LSD too. I came to the conclusion that the best way to go was a BMW diff, but I would have had to go for BMW/MX5 hybrid driveshafts. Not cheap.