View Single Post
Old 17th September 2010, 03:43 PM

Default Welding Methods for Chassis

Hi guys, I've got another pre-pre-plan stage question. I'm set in the idea of taking on the challenge of welding my own chassis (cutting material and welding), and wondering what method would be best to use before I get started on a course.

Basically, from what I can gather there are two methods that would be in my price range: MIG and Stick.
TIG from what I can gather is too expensive for a single build, and brazing techniques are inadequate unless using bronze brazing (expensive).

Stick is something I can learn cheaper, as I have a relative who is willing to teach it, plus lend the welder.
MIG, from what I can gather is more reliable/easier to get a good penetration weld.

Is it still possible/safe etc to use Stick to weld a chassis?
Last thing I'd want is to have a weld destroy itself mid corner, but if it's just a matter of getting more training, I'm willing to spend the extra time to get it right.

Since I'm still in my apprenticeship, the actual build is potentially not happening for another two years, so that's potentially two years of practice welds and training to get on with!