View Single Post
Old 17th September 2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trif View Post
I cut and welded my chassis using a a metal cutting bandsaw and mig. I'd never used a mig before, but having talked to welder friends I was convinced that it wasn't too difficult to learn. I bought a 150A fan cooled machine and sat down one weekend with a pile of 1" box off cuts and by the end I'd cracked it. The one thing I found that helped more than anything else was an auto darken visor, it was worth every penny. The metal cutting band saw was from a previous project and made the cutting of the parts a doddle. Accurate angles and lengths made the assembly and tacking fairly straightforward. The finish welding caused a few backtracks but the finished chassis came out to the mm thanks to the excellent cutting list in the book.
I remember having a go with all the welding techniques in school - my favourite was TIG, I was pretty bad at the other two
But practice should help! And naturally I'm not gonna take on the task without being sure I'm good enough.

I used an autodarken mask, and a regular one (as well as one of them old style hand held ones (!)) and definitely loved the autodarken!