Thread: welding
View Single Post
Old 24th January 2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheppy View Post
This reminds me of a time I was stick welding while sat on the steel being welded, I was using my index finger to help steady the rod, It was a very hot day and I was sweating when i turned the welder on and placed my finger on the rod and it must have been touching the bit that had no flux on it I jumped a mile Now always try not to be in contact with steel and a sensitive part of my body
Being quite sensitive to electric, I have had a few belts from the stick welder over the years.

I remember working in a ships engine room many moons ago, using 6mm electrodes & had the set on about 300 amps.

The welding plant was on the dockside & I had a long lead suspended above one of the engine room walkways .
Nothing strange about that ....... But this bugger had a large chunk of the insulation missing from one side of the cable

Picture this .............. Hissing down with rain .........Almost everyone who came down into the engine room got a belt because they were wet & being earthed out while holding onto the hadrail ..............Neck hight as well

Oh I did laugh ......... I would probably get sued for that these days !!??

Boy I miss my dockyard days ...... Happiest time of my working life.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk