View Single Post
Old 15th June 2016, 12:29 PM

ok so I got a replacement instrument cluster and that sorted that part out , so turned the key and just a click, so stuck the battery on charge and got washed and had tea, put the battery in and tried again .. click and a very hot battery + wire , so replaced the starter (luckily I had one) so ignition lights , no hot cable and starter spinning freely and cranking the motor quite happily but NO starty, so ordered a replacement ecu....... to be continued

now as to the question of why this trouble...... torrential rain shorted out the starter motor, which caused the power spike that blew the main 100 amp fuse so why the other problems , well I have found a "temporary" wire that I ran from the ignition switch to the solenoid when I had wiring issues before and it is not fused, I know , I know better but I remember at the time thinking great its going I will finish that later.... mmmm
So we can only surmise that when it blew the main fuse it had a flow through said wire hence fried electrics , so a couple of pounds fuse holder would have led to the car being sorted at the roadside and no expense now, there is a lesson there .
So a wee bit crestfallen and waiting for bits , its just a question of how much damage
AND as a real bummer I will miss this weekends run out to applecross