Thread: Chassis Kit
View Single Post
Old 27th August 2010, 09:25 AM

Talon

Nobody is questioning your work. The OP asked a simple question, what do the kits include.
I told him the best people to ask were the people offering the kits.

If it were me, and someone in the same county was offering a kit/chassis, it would be a no-brainer. I'm not sure why the question got asked, especially when said person was "a chassis builder from Essex".

People have backed up both yours, Handys, and 3GEs work. It would seem the reason for a lot of people on here saying good things about Handy's work is just that more people have had kits from him.

If I had had the chance to buy even a precut kit when I started, knowing what I do know (compound angles grrrr), I would just buy one. Especially when, to be fair, the price of both kits is low compared to the price of steel for the average person. Obviously some of this is down to bulk purchasing power, it is also down to people having the right tools, jigs and experience to do a fast, neat and accurate job.

As with most things in life, there are options;
People can buy a car, or build one
They can buy the chassis, or weld it
You can go, or you can stay, but if you do go it will be a loss. You obviously have a lot of experience in fabrication and welding, and have provided plenty of help to people on here, it would be a shame to lose that sort of experience.

I'll second what others have said as well. when I started my build, there was only 3GE. Then people like Dave @ Rogue engineering popped up on EBay, and now there is also yourself and Saturn (inc. Handy). In theory, it is now pretty much possible to build a roadster from kit parts, with no welding required (or very little), this wasn't really an option when I started my build. It's a meteoric rise for the Haynes roadster, to go from hardly anything available (apart from MK bits) to having several suppliers/manfacturers.

Anyhow, it's early at work on a Friday morning, so I really should do some proper work.