View Single Post
Old 30th May 2014, 07:35 PM

Default Enoch's Rear Arches and Stuff

OK, so after many months of not doing anything I finally got some spare time and cash to get cracking again. I had decided to give the rear arches and running boards a go, some of you may remember my questions about fibre glassing. In the end I found a very interesting item on the web about building boats out of thin ply and then covering them in fibre glass. I bought a book from one of the suppliers of plans and decided that using the methods in the book to build my arches was definitely the way to go. Fortune smiled upon me at a car boot sale when I bought 12 sheets of 8mm thick ply for a tenner. Bang on. Anyways I built the formers out of ply, the edges that need rounding over had 3 thicknesses of ply to give me enough meat to get a resonable curve to the edge of the arches. The formers were covered in 3mm thick hardboard, cos that''s what I had on hand, ply may have been better.

Here are the two bare arches side by side

Here are the 2 arches temporarily fitted to make sure they fit - they do

Since these photos I have rounded the outer edges and tidied them up a bit. Next job is to round the outer edge of the running boards and then to make the front arches.
Watch this space, as they say.
Dave.

Last edited by Enoch : 1st June 2014 at 06:41 AM. Reason: typo