View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:20 PM

Took the car out for 40miles or so today to get some logs and do some VE autotune. Its running very nicely as it goes, really smooth and quiet. in 5th on the motorway doing 60 I don't need to drop a gear to get into the powerband to overtake anymore, just press and you're up to 80 in a couple of seconds.

The turbo is putting a max of 7.4psi into the manifold, so probably a bit more before the inter-cooler but the clutch gives out at around 3500 @WOT. I can nurse it past that but meh. I'm pretty sure its just an old worn clutch and if it was a fresh one it would be working ok but if I need to split the motor and gearbox I may as well upgrade somewhat.

Reading on the forums there are plenty of people running turbo and supercharged 1.6 MX5s on standard 1.8 flywheels and clutches up to 180-200whp for tens of thousands of miles. Beyond that and its a crap shoot as to the clutch recommendation. Stage 1, Stage 2, ACT, FM, F1, blah, blah. Anything but an XTC which are apparently fake/painted OEM in general. I'm not wanting a paddle/puck on off switch type clutch anyway so I'm thinking that as my car is 30%+ lighter than an MX5 and my mileage is going to be limited I'll go with an OEM 1.8 Exedy clutch and aim for 200hp.

As I cant wait til spring, a 2003 1.8 Flywheel will be here tomorrow for just £30 and a clutch kit is £120. As soon as you start going 'uprated' you're into £280+ for the clutch kit.

Cheers
Stot