View Single Post
Old 9th July 2009, 06:03 AM

Default steel cutting method

The problem with "chopsaws" is that they(in my opinion)are converted mitre saws,and the cutting disc speed will never be as accurate as it should be,note that as the cutting disc wears down the blade tip speed ,feet per minute will reduce considerably,also all cutting discs need extra steel discs each side of the disc to stop it "wandering"usually 2 or 3 pairs of these "reinforcing" plates are supplied with quality equipment,being replaced with the next size down as the disc wears.These chopsaws are lightly built with questionable or no safety guards.I built my own metal cutting saw 30 years ago from an NZ Industrial Gases (now BOC) plan,12 inch disc but lost my nerve using it,it cut 2x2 x1/4 and converted it to a woodworking tool and built a power hacksaw.A tip:The popular 600 mm sanding tables with a circular sanding disc on one end,will when fitted with a suitable abrasive flexible sanding disc do a good safe job of squaring up these 25x25 1.6 tubes,if you are a bit short of money get an old electric motor,put a flat surface pulley on it ,make a simple table and you are away.Plans all over the net for this type of handy tool.I dont know if low speed circular metal cutting saw blades are still available,these would be very good to use on quality metal cutting mitre saws.David