View Single Post
Old 17th September 2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transverse View Post
Hi Acra,
as you are at the start planning your build, you could be a bit more adventurous!.

Take ~400 mm of length out the front engine bay, and mount the entire C1 transaxle in one piece in a 400mm triangulated extension behind the seats, leaving the Roadsters wheelbase as it was.

You might even get away with using the C1 suspension struts and possible the C1 lower wishbones/subframe!

Leave everything else as it is apart from the rear diff / rear wishbone mounts.
The trans tunnel could be narrowed but unless you need the space, leave as it is!

Its a route we will all have to think about anyway as the RWD get older/rustier and rarer!

Perhaps a Fiesta/Clio/Corsa etc donored Roadster with modern engines form 1.2 to 2.0 (even diesel if it floats your boat!)
Is there a book in it!
I'm loving the community here already - so many ideas and helpful hints!

Just clarifying - you mean rear-mounting the engine? That's an interesting concept, I'm following a Rear-Rear project online at the moment, but they're redesigning the whole shape too.

I guess, if there's space in the back (and it doesn't make it too rear end heavy) then it's doable, leaving space up front for fuel tank, battery, radiator, maybe even steal the power steering too since that's electrical...

The C1 ECU and electronics is fairly basic in the early models (2006-08) and I've worked on one when I had it - though mine was a model with aircon.
Only thing I'd definitely change if keeping the gearbox is the clutch - far too weak, needs the Toyota Yaris clutch if it's gonna last...