View Single Post
Old 25th February 2010, 03:33 PM

Default Questions on 2.0L DOHC

Hi all,

This is my first time on the forum and as a bit of background I've just started collecting the bits for my first time build of a Roadster. By chance I had the opportunity to pick up a low mileage Sierra 2.0L Gli as a donor car but now looking over many of the historical posts I have a bunch of questions.

I understand that the DOHC engine and associated MT75 gearbox is not ideal but it can be used. I don't have an issue with the tunability of the unit, 125bhp sounds loads and it's looks good. However my questions are:

1. Engine clearance; the enigine is tall and the plenum chamber sits even higher. What modifications have other builders used, I'd still like to keep it fuel injected?

2. Transmission tunnel mods. Do the published changes work in practice and is there any downside?

3. Transmission ground clearance. Are there any problems here?

4. Is changing from the DOHC to a Zetec unit after IVA a vabiable ooption if needed?

5. Anything else I should be aware of? I'd love to hear from people who have goen through the 'pain' of using this donor.

Basically I'd like to know is it worth carrying on with the current donor I have (it's a very tidy car) or should I look for something else more appropriate.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff