Thread: zx9r pump
View Single Post
Old 6th December 2010, 10:05 AM

Default zx9r pump

I tried to start my zx9r engine for the first time on the weekend but the pump doesn't seem to want to suck up fuel. The pump is the proper zx9r one and I have it mounted in the engine bay.
It is clicking as it should and I have tried hard wiring it to bypasss the relay. The manual says it will suck up from a container without being gravity fed but I tried gravity feeding it also and it did move a little fuel but it didnt seem to be pressurising the float bowls. Even tried pumping some white spirit and it did move a little but only when I gravity fed it, odd.
Could the carbs not be letting fuel in and be airlocked?
I know you can get the opposite problem where the floats are stuck open from old sticky petrol and it pumps out the vent when you prime them.
Think it might be the pump?
Swapped the pipes on the pump around just incase and it blew weak bubbles in my petrol can! so have the inlet the right way.
Heard you can clean the contacts on the back of the pump not sure if this is to do with the cut out though or the contacts that make it occilate in the first place therefor it wouldnt be clicking.
Any Ideas? Thanks chris