Thread: Electrolysis
View Single Post
Old 5th January 2010, 10:46 PM

Agreed - don't forget the hydrogen that is produced by the process, one spark and BANG!

I'm a big supporter of grit blasting rather than other methods for rust removal. CKC mag ran an article this month that said that it was unsuitable for components that are fragile or have extensive corrosion. Well, if the rust is that bad - would you really want to use that part anyway? Blasting gives instant results and leaves the part perfectly prepared for repainting. Although I should mention that it is critical that the part is given some surface protection within a couple of hours or rust will set in very quicly, as the process greatly increases the surface area of the part.

Machine mart sell a small cabinet for £118 but it realy is a worthwhile investment (provided you already have an air compressor). It can also be used with glass beads or walnut shell. If you have larger parts to clean, it may be worthwhile asking your local metal plating/galvanising/wheel restorer company for a quote to blast them for you.

Having said all that, electrolysis is a cheap method for doing a small number of small parts. And I guess we are all building a sports car, on a budget.

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46