View Single Post
Old 31st August 2013, 07:45 PM

Well it's been 2 months since I've managed to do any work on my kit car due to working down in Hinckley at Triumph and my kit car being located 200 miles north at my parents in Newcastle.

This was the first weekend that I had nothing else on so I decided it was time to put some work in! Out came the hole saw and in went the fuel level sender, I may have mounted it slightly too far inboard and it now fouls my tank straps, but the straps happily sit on top of it, so at the moment I think I will leave it where it is and if it annoys me in the future I'll change my tank strap arrangement or get a larger fuel tank and move the position of it then.

The next job on the list was the exhaust, the exhaust bends had already arrived (2" mild steel ERW) which meant that I could cut and weld it myself instead of paying for someone else to do it. I decided to go for cheap bend which means they have some necking which will restrict my exhaust some what, but I am planning on upgrading to a stainless system later on anyway so it is a decent temporary fix.

The most difficult part of the exhaust was making the matching flange for the manifold, it was only difficult because it took some time and a bit of fettling. After tacking everything together and chopping the bends to suit it all went together quite nicely, I then fully welded everything together and put it back on the car and I have to say I am quite impressed with it. The exhaust is also rock solid which I originally felt might be an issue as the rubber mount I have used seemed a bit too compliant.

The welds still need to be dressed and the exhaust needs wrapping but other than that it is complete.

Let me know what you think.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting