View Single Post
Old 28th July 2012, 08:00 PM

Had a good day today. Started off with a quick trip to Shrewsbury to the best steel stockholders in the county (possibly the ony one ) for some 33.7mmX4mm wall round tube for the cross bar of the roll bar to take the upper harness mounts. I also grabbed a couple of feet of 42mm X 2mm wall round tube to remake the headlamp mounts (new headlamps need a 16mm mounting hole and are fixed with a 24mmAF nut so existing tube was too narrow).

Got to the workshop late morning and got stuck in. I've mounted the cross tube by cutting 34 (ish)mm holes into the rollbar upright setions and inserting the cross tube into these. The harness mounting bushes are cut into the tube and tig welded in place then the cross tube MIG welded into the rollbar. I beleive this will give a good strong upper harness mounting.

I've also done the headlamp mounting brackets in bigger diameter tube to acomodate the larger fixing nut but I'm not sure I like the look of those mountings, I'm thinking that a curved tube from the chassis up to the lamp mounting position would look better but haven't figured out how to access the fixing nut with such a design . I've now fitted brackets to take the brake hoses as well.

For fun I've fitted the seats and the harnesses along with the nosecone and headlamps. Apart from the headlamp mountings (which I'll probably just go with as I can't figure out a better option) and final welding/dressing of welds I think I have just about got a complete chassis.

Here's a link to my facebook page with a photo. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...unt=1&re f=nf
D.