Thread: MR2 Donor?
View Single Post
Old 27th June 2008, 08:44 AM

Thats still about £10000 more than I was planning to spend on building a roadster

I did originally see his designs on Locostbuilders, I have a lot of respect for the engineering behind the chassis as from what I've seen its well thought out and well executed. I'm just not too hot on the body shape.

But either way £12500 is well out of my price range. I could buy a TVR Cerbera for that. Admittedly not the same kettle of fish but with TVRs spannering is all part of the ownership experience

I could buy the plans for Steve's car which I think we're quoted as $99, which doesnt sound too unreasonable. This would probably same me a lot of ache trying to get the rear end right.

My intention was to use as much of the original MR2 as possible to cut down on costs which would include using the original suspension setup if I can work out a way of doing it without making it far too heavy. Neither Steve's Le Bala or the Roadster makes use of it so I'd be on my own there anyway.

In terms of mounting the engine and gearbox behind the driver in the roadster chassis, initial checks show it would fit without enlarging the rear end too much although the wheels would be mounted further back. The MR2 engine bay is approx 550mm X 1050mm. I could compensate for the extra length by shortening the engine bay area of the Roadster. I think I need to make some measurements on my MR2, in terms of where the suspension fixing points are and compare these to the roadster. The MR2 mounts the fuel tank in what would be the transmission tunnel and I would gain storage space at the front too.