View Single Post
Old 30th September 2013, 06:28 PM
CTWV50's Avatar
CTWV50 CTWV50 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,294

Originally Posted by skov View Post
Those shock lengths are fine, but I wouldn't take the spring rates as gospel.

Nathen had started supplying 400lb springs for the front as he thought it rolled too much, which is what I ended up with.
From my experience that's a recipe for massive understeer. It also gives a horrible jolty ride on bumpy roads as the rear can't react fast enough to catch up with the front.
I'm not convinced Saturn's original values would be much better either.

Having done some calculations (albeit full of assumptions/guestimates/errors) I came to the conclusion that the rear needs to be around 100lbs harder than the front, and that 300 front / 400 rear would be a good starting point.

As a quick test I swapped mine over and put my 250lb springs on the front and my 400lb springs on the rear and went out for a drive.
Have to say it's transformed the car!
The ride is far more composed on bumpy roads, and I've got shed loads of front grip.
It's possibly gone a little too far the other way, as it's ever so slightly tail happy now. It is however nicely controllable and much more fun that way
I'll get some 300lb springs for the front and report back at somepoint.
Cool I'll swap my 250lb and 400lb around during the final build.
Reply With Quote