Thread: new guy
View Single Post
Old 6th October 2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.brownster79 View Post
Thanks for the link mike nice to see some kit car meets are in my area!!

cant make the 14th due to work!

Has anyone got a cheap welder for sale i do have one but its only 105amps i woould feel alot more comfortable with one about 130amps or above?

My build so far garage being sorted in organising my kit, box section been ordered going to be about a week and i have read the book from front to back then back again!!

still not decided on a power unit yet but think i need to get my arse into gear before i start the frame would love to use a subaru 2.0 turbo!! awesome noise!! but think for my first build that may be a bit ambitious

what runs best? what do you guys have?

justin
welcome to the forum and good luck with your build plans

a few pointers i have are with welders anything is powerful enough to tack up your chassis but when you come to fully weld it up you will need somthing with a good duty cycle in the power setting you will be in (110-140A) and you will be better off using a big gas bottle
local gumtree is a good place i found to look for s/h welders ebay can be a bit expensive
as for powerplants flat4's might be a little more tricky for a first build but there is no reason it cant be done.
there are all sorts of builds and finished cars going on in here from the well troden ford rwd engine and box as it came from a doner, bike engines to skyline 6pots
keeping it simple will save you time and money in the long run and its common to build your car with a doner engine then swap it over post iva test

everyone here can help you with any questions you have