View Single Post
Old 18th November 2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Like the photos, Sean, looks like you know what you are doing. What is the lathe work required for? Looks like there is a fair bit more than I expected. Good job I've got a lathe and milling machine How long ago did you start your build?
I only roughly know what I am doing.
I did a lot of work on bikes for years (old man had a hire fleet and breakers) but I was only about 10 or 11

Everything else is self taught, welding, lathe work etc.

What is the lathework, let me see
  • Suspension bush tubes (couldn't find the right wall thickness, so bored out some thicker stuff)
  • Wishbone adjusters (ended up buying them, I couldn't turn the M18 tap, let alone the M20)
  • Mushroom inserts for Sierra uprights (photos not uploaded yet)
  • Boring out tubes for pedal pivots
  • Nylon bushes for above
  • Some (not me) have turned their suspension bushes from HDPE or Delrin

The little lathe in the pictures met an untimely end, I now have a Myford ML7 (much better, all gears and belts, no silly electronics)

With a lathe and a mill you will be able to fabricate a lot of stuff youself, although I don't really think I have had call for a mill until today (brake caliper brackets - not necessary in the book spec)
I have the attachments to use the myford for milling, so will give that a bash soon

If you have a flypress/brake press you are laughing, because otherwise the suspension brackets need to made by brute force (hammer) or bought in