View Single Post
Old 27th March 2014, 11:51 AM

Talking

Small disaster.....when fitting up my oil cooler pies I managed to x thread one of them which showed itself as a leak, I would not care but it did not at all feel tight when I was screwing it on, anyways off it came and sure enough x threaded only thing I could try was a re-tap as some of the threads at the bottom were still good but I have no an10/jic10 tap so remembering that I had an ancient scrap ride on in the garden that had hydraulic fittings I checked to see if there was any an10 nuts and there was one... so took this off put it in a vice and using a junior hacksaw cut around 7 slots across the threads, these would provide a cutting action if I can get it square on the damaged fitting.
using it very carefully I managed to get it square on the old threads then proceeded to put it on ...turn a bit take it off, clean it and repeating this action every third of a turn I managed to recover some of the threads that were not damaged. I think there was a modocum of good luck.
Right so oil cooler back in and taped up (lots on the rethreaded one) I was able to apply the same torque on both nuts with no sensation of "stripping"
That was last night and I have not tested it yet, I was really peeved at that mind BUT joy of joys, my age related number and tax disc turned up this morning K7**BON yep ...tres tres bon indeed. well it would be if it wasn't bluddy raining....will let you lot know how it goes soon