View Single Post
Old 4th September 2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
Why can getting an ECU not be so simple as - pay money - plug in - away you go!
Because there's more than one type of engine in the world. MS can be configured to run many of those engines. I think they're asking all these questions to make it as close as possible to plug & play.

Quote:
Guessing I need to spend some serious hours trawling internet before ordering.
DIYAutoTune have a web page specifically about setting up MS on Zetec: http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti...ford_zetec.htm

I can help if have any questions.

Quote:
Not been able to find an omex supplier yet if that would be the easiest then I will step up the hunt!
Maybe that's because Omex and Emerald are British companies geared primarily at the British market?

Here are the answers if you decide to proceed with Megasquirt.

1. Self-built car, Zetec Blacktop engine
2. Both
3. Bank firing works, sequential would be nice.
4. Personally, on top of standard MS I control the fuel pump, cooling fan relay, PWM idle and tach output.
5. See 1
6. Wasted spark coil pack. Can switch to COP.
7. Ford VR crank position sensor with holes in the flywheel.
8. Per their page, it's 36-1 teehth, first tooth angle 80°.
9. On the standard Ford manifold, there's a solenoid PWM idle valve. Of course, if you're not using the standard inlet, it depends.
10 - 12. You have to answer yourself.

The last three questions really highlight if Megasquirt is the right choice for you. If you want to build it yourself and really understand all ins and outs, there's nothing better (Until FreeEMS is ready!). If not, probably look somewhere else.

Good luck!