View Single Post
Old 9th January 2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
Stick with the stock system until it's on the road. The stock system will work with some mod so until you get to lairy cams you'll be ok.
To be honest I wouldn't waste time on Megasquirt. I've used it in the past, ended up costing almost as much as an omex system. Al & Bruce say its experimental. To experimental if you ask me! The msqt was unreliable, not easy to build or tune, few rolling road places will deal with it.
Car spent too much time with me trying to fix msqt faults and after two expensive recovery trips I bit the bullet and bought an omex.
The omex does what it says on the tin with no hassle. Not a single breakdown from the time it was fitted to the time I sold the car.

BV
Never had any dealings with Megasquirt/ Omex.
Probably a silly question but why should one of these be used, what are the real benefits over the stock fuel management system (am i right in saying these are just standalone fuel management systems?) Are there additional features, easier for the home mechaninc to tune/modify the engine etc.
Just trying to get a better idea of these systems. Will try to do some research on these during the week, but would appreciate if someone could give me a starter lesson

When you buy one, does it come pre-loaded with base maps or does this all need set-up by an engine tuner first.

Im sure all will become clear

Michael

Photo Albums
Build Thread
Donor: 1.6 Jap import MX-5
Chassis: Based upon Saturn MX-5 guide
Official start date: TBC
Build cost to date: £400 profit from donor sales