View Single Post
Old 25th September 2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
I was hopeing someone here was going to tell me how to drive the thing.I have never seen or used one of the water braked jobbies before

Bob
from what i can remember on the one i used is its like a torque converter with a verible angle vane in it you can ajust, the output side can rotate a small amount and has a arm off the side of the body that either goes to some form a force mesument device, ours was an arm that ballanced weights so distence over force = torque and if you know rpm's then you can get bhp
you need to factor the loss of your waterbrake as some energy is converted to heat etc. also are well know for been inconsistent so be warned we took 6 or so runs to get an avrage or "mean" reading took all day to do
then another full day number crunching

here is a little run down on how we used it on a big diesel engine on wot to get max fueling on the govener

we would add weights to end of arm then ajust vain angle to ajust brakes load and lift the weight the more weight it could lift before pulling rpms down the more torque you had , keep repeating adding vain angle and weight taking readings as we go untill we pull the rpms all the way down.
then number crunch losses and all the other stuff to get accurate torque for each load point that then create dots on a graph
then a good old bit of dot to dot to get a torque curve then do same again to get a bhp curve
all was a bit back to front as you had to find what rpms you had for each torque 100nm then 110nm and so on not what torque was at set rpms
i think later waterbrakes had hyd pressure cells
i think everything is eletric now and has been for some time waterbrakes where very old hat 17years ago as i can remember