View Single Post
Old 27th January 2014, 11:02 PM

Default 1st inspection tomorrow

Tomorrow is the big day... well not “the big day”, how can I call it? “The small day”? “Half-the-big-day”? Anyway, it's my first building inspection, but not the last one. The car is ready, last week, I could manage to weld the rails I'm going to attach the seats on, so the chassis is now in its final state. I checked, double, triple-checked everything, so not much more I can do for now.

I also could get hold of a car trailer from a guy living in the neighbourhood who rented it to me for £20, so that's not half bad.

But of course I have a big knot in my stomach, even though there will be no «*pass*» or «*fail*», it is just an intermediate inspection where I will have recommendations on what is to be changed/improved before the final inspection, when the car will be completed. However, I'm nervous. It's been almost 3 years that I've decided to start this adventure of building my own car. That was crazy, daring, uncertain, and I'm glad I could go so far in my build and actually present myself to the inspector. 3 years ago, this was just a very blur image in my mind. And it wouldn't have been possible without all the help I got from the members of this forum. Such a long way! I had never welded before, and my biggest fear is that the inspector will tell me tomorrow that my chassis is crap, distorted, welds are bad, etc..., and perhaps tomorrow evening I will have to admit the evidence that I was not up to the job...

Anyway, I must go through that now, and telling myself I did my best. “Alea jacta est”, as Julius Caesar used to say!

What makes we nervous is also diving a 200 km round-trip, most likely under the snow, and at night (inspection is planned for 18:00 tomorrow evening!), with my Roadster on this huge car trailer.

So fingers crossed, and we'll see!

I'll keep you posted.

So, bye for now.

IMG_7960 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

IMG_7957 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

(just to avoid any confusion: you will see on these pictures that fuel and brake lines are attached with tie locks. It is just to show the routes to the inspector. After the inspection, when the chassis is sandblasted and painted, they will of course be attached with proper p-clips)