Thread: My progress
View Single Post
Old 18th April 2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood View Post
As we are talking about welding misfortunes.
Try this.
Welding under the arse end of a ship from a painpunt (Dodgy floating ply box)
Some clever C*** decides to start deballasting.....
Within 5 seconds the punt was full, and going down like the Titanic.
With me and all the welding gear in it.
Needless to say I was not a happy bunny when I got back onboard.
Waited for the tide to go out, then made the t**t resposible crawl out in the mud and recover all the gear..
Almost worth getting wet,
just to see him up to his neck in stinking Thames mud, then getting washed down with the fire hose.
Cool response to a dickhead. I was taught to weld by an ex Barrow shipyard boilermaker and I've done some interesting stuff through the years. One job in Peterborough was to weld two 5 metre lengths of 1.75 metre diameter 12mm wall sewer pipe together. This was then craned into place across a canal where it had to be welded to an existing pipe. so there's me and my mate up to our knees in canal and mud stick welding with two dirty great diesel welding gen sets, high cycle stuff that runs at 3kcycles. We're pushing 80 volts at 180 amps into four mm rods and its raining, every time we changed a rod we got a 3Kc belt off the buggers so we soon learned to line up the next half dozen rods on the concrete bank edge and just grap them with the rod holders. doing the inside of the pipe was not fun because of the high cycle welding sets, the weld doesn't hum like an ordinary arc welder it screams at 3000cycles per second. sit inside a 20 metre long 1.75m dia pipe for an hour with that going and your deaf for hours afterwards.

D.
Apologies to Bonzo for hijacking the thread.