View Single Post
Old 14th September 2013, 11:58 AM

The supercharger kit came with a megasquirt, and yeah the diyautotune guys are walking distance from my home. So im hoping to get there assistance when time comes to tune this. As for registration, im honestly not completly sure yet. As it stands you'd have to get it inspected again to register it and depending on where you end up in georgia you may need emissions testing done. Upside is testing doesnt sound anywhere near as stringent as the uk. My problem now is that the laws can change between now and when i finish, im just hoping they change for the better. There has been some push to adopt SEMA's laws for registering custom car, which would simplify the process alot.

Here's the info i got from the guys that build the exocet kit car here.

Quote:
Georgia has a couple ways you can go about it. We issue a Certificate of Origin with each kit and that basically functions as a "pre-title" - similar to what you get if you bought a new trailer. This document can be submitted to the state along with all your receipts and a few other forms for registration. The SEMA Action Network has done a great job of getting all the pertinent laws and forms together in a single PDF document for each state and you can download Georgia's here: http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA

Georgia also has a Dune Buggy method, where you cut out the VIN plate from the donor Miata and submit it to the state along with all the other paperwork - that is actually how I registered the all black Exocet you saw at C&O since it was registered before we began issuing COOs.

Some are running their Exocets as the original Miata, but if you choose that route, make sure you are aware of all the laws/insurance. Some have their cars insured as "heavily modified Miatas" through companies like Classic Collectors by Infinity. The way I see it is that this may be skirting around the law a bit since you are technically replacing the frame of the vehicle. While some may argue that the Mazda PPF is part of the "frame" and since it is retained it is still a Miata, but I could see the authorities not liking that explanation.

Since you are titling it as a new vehicle, there are no emissions requirements for the first three years. After that, you can apply for an exemption through the Clean Air Force assuming you've retained all the emissions equipment on the Exocet. We are in the process of trying to push SEMA's custom vehicle legislation through - we've got about 23 states done so far and I hope to have GA on board soon. That would eliminate any emissions checks for custom vehicles/kits moving forward.