View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzter
What MX5 can I use to base my build on mk1, mk2 or mk3? (I'm thinkng mk1 or early mk2)
You can use any of them, although I'd venture a guess that mark 3 stuff will still be fairly expensive.

Quote:
Is the running gear (uprights, shafts, etc) the same on the mk1, mk2 or mk3?
In short no. Very little, if anything is compatible between mark 1/2/2.5 and the mark 3. Between marks 1, 2 and 2.5, all the big bits are interchangable, although there may be subtle differences in the detail (e.g. the steering arms on a mark 2 front upright are 7mm higher than the mark 1).

Quote:
If I get a diff case from the likes of Phil at Talon can I use the sierra based build rear end?
That was one of Phil's justifications for developing it.

Quote:
How easy is it going to be to swap over to a zetec/duratec after it gets IVAd. Will zetec/duratec and gearbox mate to a mx5 diff etc?
The big bits you'll need are the engine, gearbox, engine mounts and a custom prop to swap over. You'll also need to sort the associated systems out. But to me it seems to be a waste of time and money to fit the MX5 engine and box to rip it out straight after to replace with Ford stuff, you may as well fit the Ford engine and box from the off IMO.

Quote:
Why so? Are there some incompatabilities? These are the things I'm trying to get sorted in my head before I commit.
Except for the gearbox, I can't see what else could qualify David's post. Don't forget, lots of bike engined kit cars use all the mechanical bits of a normal donor except for the engine and gearbox and some associated systems (like the engine loom, reverse gear mechanism etc.).

There's nothing stopping you having a complete set of MX5 running gear with a Zetec and a Type 9 box for example. Heck, there's nothing wrong with you using the uprights and brakes from one marque, with a diff from another, engine and box from a third etc etc.