Thread: Mot/iva
View Single Post
Old 15th June 2009, 06:37 PM

Next episode in the saga....
After an email from VOSA which said, I quote, An MOT will be required 3 years after registration for a Q plate and a new registration and an MOT 3 years after year of the age related plate, in my case 1986, this seemed wrong (yet again) so i rang them up.
Nothing has changed since SVA so the IVA requires an MOT in all cases 3 years from first registration.
The DVLA however can request an MOT earlier, usualy in the case of a Q plate as VOSA have nothing whatsoever to do with Q reg cars.
Whilst on the phone to VOSA i enquired how i would know when an MOT was due, the answer was, when you try and tax the car the DVLA will ask for an MOT, this could delay you if you ask for tax and then find you need an MOT.
VOSA hold a database of all UK registered cars showing when they need an MOT and what criterior/emissions are required.
So whilst on the phone i asked about my Y reg age related car which passed SVA and was registered July 08, the car will require an MOT in July 2011.

To conclude i asked whether DVLA local office decide on MOT dates and VOSA said that it was decided at DVLA HQ Swansea.
There is only one more place to go for clarity and that is DVLA Policies, I don't want to shake the wasps nest so will let it lie.
Do not MOT before IVA.
If you want to find out when your MOT is due, phone VOSA.